- The SPSA fiscal year runs from July 1st through June 30th. It’s time to renew. A few of our members have already renewed and a few joined late in the year. Those members are free to skip to the next dot point. If you need to renew you can do so on our SPSA web page. http://spsa.us/ Under MEMBERSHIP on the blue bar, click on the JOIN / RENEW line. Thanks for staying with us, we have another great year ahead.
- Our first event is the Classic Regatta on September 10th. This event is in it’s 13th year and is a benefit regatta for Meals on Wheels. Initially started by SPSA, we have joined up with the St Petersburg Yacht Club to capitalize on the facilities the yacht club offers. The Classic Committee is composed of sailors that are members of both SPSA and SPYC and Neighborly, the parent organization of the Pinellas County Meals on Wheels program. If your boat is 20 years or more young, she is eligible. There are many ways to support this charity and our local senior citizens. Here’s the link to the regatta page. https://neighborly.org/st-petersburg-classic-regatta/
- Our Annual Meeting and Awards Banquet is scheduled for Friday September 16th. This annual event will be held in the Yacht Club. You will need to RSVP. Watch for additional details.
- Here’s the current slate of SPSA Officers for 2022-23: Commodore Penny Simone, Secretary Suzzane Hooper, Treasurer Richard Boler, Rating Chair Charles Archer, Membership Chair Brian Conlin and Marketing and Mass Media Chair Raúl Calzada. We are still looking for commitments for Vice Commodore, Rear Commodore and Race Chair. Please consider stepping up, we have a good thing going. This is a good group to work with. Let me know if you can help TreinenRich@aol.com
- The SPSA Series kicks off on September 24th. This is a 8 race day event that runs until April with two sub seasons, Fall and Spring. Two races are scheduled per race day.
- June’s King of the Bay winner is Back Off skippered by Tony Barrett. Her corrected time was 45 minutes and 41seconds which is a good time but not fast enough to break into the all time top 10. She’s in 11th. Next time you see Back Off out on the water wave to her grinning new owner, Brian Conlin. You’ll find the current King of the Bay report on the SPSA web site.
- The entire SPSA Event Calendar for 2022-23 will be posted soon. We have one race date with a conflict we need to resolve.
- We are looking for members wishing to kick in a little extra to the SPSA. Buy a half page in our Members Handbook. Any message, with bounds, acceptable. Please act quickly, contact our Treasurer Richard Boler soon. You can email me too TreinenRich@aol.com
- SPSA is rocking it in the Twilight Series. Tack Tick, Cakewalk and Gimme Shelter are holding down the top three sots in Spinnaker A while Cayennita III, Moonshine and Last Tango are in a close battle for the top in the Cruising Class. We have 18 SPSA boats running in this all summer long event.