It’s May and the wind is still blowing and the temperatures are fine. Take every moment you can to go sailing!
Let’s see what’s happening:
- KOB winner for April is Doug Jones and crew sailing DJ Sonar. They sailed the course a couple of times on April 14th. They changed direction on the second run – S-G1 – Lil J – S was the winning time.Congratulations Doug.
- This Tuesday May 2 at 6:00 – Location TBD – is our next Board of Directors meeting. The meeting is open to all members. Let me know if you plan to attend. Send email to email@example.com. If you are interested in serving on the SPSA Board of Directors for the upcoming season please let me know too.
- The SPSA Couples/Doublehanded Regatta will take place on Saturday May 13th. The race will be a pursuit start. Starting times will be announced before race day. This is always a fun event and the last official race of the SPSA 2022/2023 Season. Don’t miss it – sign up now.
- There are a few days left to enter the Bone Island Regatta Race to Key West May 17th to the 20th. The race starts in Sarasota. It’s sure to be fantastic, I mean, who doesn’t want to race to Key West! The deadline to sign up is May 6th.
- Another opportunity to do some long distance racing mixed with a slow cruise home is the May 26-27 iDIYC to Naples Race.
- Have you heard about the Summer Sailstice? It’s a world wide sailing event taking place the weekend of June 24th celebrating the Summer Solstice. We’d like to plan a sail/meet-up/party possibly in conjunction with other local clubs. If you have ideas or would like to participate on a planning committee, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One more Item – June will be renewal time for our PHRF certificates. I spent some time recently reading through the WestFloridaPHRF Class Rules and gained a better understanding of the certificate and ratings. Put it on your summer reading list.
Cast the lines and set off on a sail. See you out on the Bay.
The sun is out. The temperatures are rising. I’m venturing out beyond the space heater and have shed a layer or two of fleece and wool. I’ve missed a few days of getting out for a sail and I’m really looking forward to our upcoming events.
- January 1, 2023 – New Year’s Day Fun Pursuit Race. Nothing better than starting the new year than a race on the bay followed by a PotLuck Dinner and the now famous (notorious) White Elephant Gift Exchange. Race Start time is 14:00. This is a pursuit race – start times will be posted no later than noon on Saturday 12/31. The Potluck will be held at the Sailing Center following the race. SPSA will be providing ham, Iced tea and water, please bring a dish to share and your favorite post race drinks. And don’t forget to bring a wrapped gift for the White Elephant Gift Exchange. Please RSVP to email@example.com. Expect to have a riotous good time!
- Tuesday, January 3 is our next SPSA Board of Directors Meetingt to be held at 6:00pm at the Sailing Center.. As always all members are welcomed to attend. Please let me know if you plan to be there – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday January 21, 2023 is the SPSA Spring Season Kick-off Race followed by the ever competitive and delicious Chili Cook Off at the Sailing Center. Start time is 10:00. Race Committee boat will be announced soon. If you haven’t already, please register for this series on our SPSA Website
- The Off the Wall Regatta, a race geared toward new and novice racers, will be held on Sunday January 29th. Open to all keel boats 30′ or less and new this year we will add a class of keel boats over 30′. SPSA and non-SPSA members are invited. Additional details to be announced soon.
- February will be an exciting month for racing in Tampa Bay. See the Master Racing Calendar for the West Coast of Florida for details. A link to this calendar is available on the SPSA website.
- Lastly – KOB – There are a few more days left to take the flag for King of the Bay for December. Last month we had seven KOB runs reported. Let’s try to beat that this month.
See you out on the Bay.
Happy New Year!