The sun is out. The temperatures are rising. I’m venturing out beyond the space heater and have shed a layer or two of fleece and wool. I’ve missed a few days of getting out for a sail and I’m really looking forward to our upcoming events.
- January 1, 2023 – New Year’s Day Fun Pursuit Race. Nothing better than starting the new year than a race on the bay followed by a PotLuck Dinner and the now famous (notorious) White Elephant Gift Exchange. Race Start time is 14:00. This is a pursuit race – start times will be posted no later than noon on Saturday 12/31. The Potluck will be held at the Sailing Center following the race. SPSA will be providing ham, Iced tea and water, please bring a dish to share and your favorite post race drinks. And don’t forget to bring a wrapped gift for the White Elephant Gift Exchange. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Expect to have a riotous good time!
- Tuesday, January 3 is our next SPSA Board of Directors Meetingt to be held at 6:00pm at the Sailing Center.. As always all members are welcomed to attend. Please let me know if you plan to be there – email@example.com.
- Saturday January 21, 2023 is the SPSA Spring Season Kick-off Race followed by the ever competitive and delicious Chili Cook Off at the Sailing Center. Start time is 10:00. Race Committee boat will be announced soon. If you haven’t already, please register for this series on our SPSA Website
- The Off the Wall Regatta, a race geared toward new and novice racers, will be held on Sunday January 29th. Open to all keel boats 30′ or less and new this year we will add a class of keel boats over 30′. SPSA and non-SPSA members are invited. Additional details to be announced soon.
- February will be an exciting month for racing in Tampa Bay. See the Master Racing Calendar for the West Coast of Florida for details. A link to this calendar is available on the SPSA website.
- Lastly – KOB – There are a few more days left to take the flag for King of the Bay for December. Last month we had seven KOB runs reported. Let’s try to beat that this month.
See you out on the Bay.
Happy New Year!
We hope everyone had a splendid Thanksgiving with time to spend with family and friends and enjoying the cooler weather.
Here is what is coming up at SPSA:
- In case you weren’t aware, Cayennita III won KOB for the month of October. Congratulations Tony and crew. Speaking of KOB there are 2 days left to make a run for November. Don’t forget to report your time to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Several SPSA members participated in the Dolphin Cruising Club’s Fall Event. Thanks to all that participated. I know Saturday was a gorgeous sailing day and Sunday’s return tested the fair weather sailor. Pictures indicate that everyone had a great time.
- The final race of the Fall Series is this Saturday, December 3rd. Start time is 11:00. Bumbugo will be RC for this event. Post Race meet-up and trophies will be at Courigan’s Irish Pub.
- Our next Board of Directors meeting will take place on Tuesday December 6th at 6:00pm at the Sailing Center. All SPSA members are welcomed. Let me know if you are planning to attend. Shoot me an email at email@example.com.
- Start the 2023 off right by going sailing. Our New Year’s Fun Pursuit will take place on January 1st. Start time is 14:00. Post race festivities at the Sailing Center will include a potluck dinner with the club providing some traditional southern New Year’s fare and a traditionally boisterous gift exchange. Additional details to come.
- What do you do with the 3 weeks between our December race and the New Years Pursuit? YOU GO SAILING. Try an attempt to win December KOB, take family out for a sail. go sailing just because it’s a beautiful day. If you do go out why not post it on our Facebook Members Group and see if you can entice others to leave the dock too.
See you all out on the Bay