1 March 2021
Here’s a few notes about things just past and a short look into the future of your SPSA.
- Full Moon Pursuit Results This happened on Saturday February 27th. First off, it was a beautiful night. While it looked like the wind might go non-existent, it didn’t and everyone made it around the course. How nice was it? Three boats decided to skip the post race and stayed out on the bay. We had twelve boats out for the race. In the spinnaker fleet Warrior took the prize. In the Cruising fleet it was Cayennita III, Desiderata and Surge finishing in the fluids, in that order. Just a reminder, your prize, if not collected by our next racing event, will be repurposed. Our locker in the Sailing Center is too small to store anybodies stuff.
- February King of the Bay Results We had four results reported. Libèlula (pronounced Lee Bay Lula) went all out on February 28th. They ran the course three times and clocked the top three times. The forecast was for 8 knots, it was a steady 13 gusting to 17. My crew on a J-70 spotted Libèlula on the course, were were going around counter clock wise, they were going clockwise. I like to say my crew clocked the fourth fastest time in February. See the results dated 1 March 2021, coming soon.
- Here’s the KoB report from Libèlula
- On Sunday afternoon, February 28th, 2021 Libèlula (Lee Bay Lula) and her crew (Skipper Joyce, Regular Trimmer James, Recent Trimmer Marc, Guest Helmsman Peter, and Tactitian/Magician Fritz) sailed three King of the Bay runs.The first run started at Little J, and we ran counter-clockwise. We had a building breeze and an incoming tide which set us north as we sailed Little J to “S” with just two tacks. Then a run with 2 gybes to G1, a fast beam reach as the breeze filled more, and a finish at Little J with an elapsed time of 1:02:25.The second run started at “S” and we ran counter-clockwise again. A fast run on port-tack and an even faster reach to Little J left us with a bit less tide push and a close-hauled fetch to the finish at “S.” The elapsed time for that run was 1:00:53. The third run started at “S” again. A port-tack run carried us straight to G1 this time, a close-reach to Little J was the fastest yet. And as the breeze backed a bit and the incoming tide all but disappeared, the last leg allowed us to crack off to a very close reach at the end of the leg! The elapsed time for that was 0:56:29!!!
- 3 March SPSA Board Meeting 6 PM This is an open meeting, all SPSA Members are welcome to sit in. It’s another Zoom meeting. If you would like to attend, send me a message. TreinenRich@aol.com
- 20 March Spring Series Race Day 4 Hula Girl II will be our race committee. As usual we have an 11 AM start, as usual a Hula Girl have volunteered to be RC on the same day as our St Patrick’s Day Party is scheduled. As usual you should expect shenanigans.
- 20 March under the tree For our post race gathering we are exploring options for a St Patrick’s Day Party. Stay tuned, details will be announced once we have some.