- The first race of the 2023 Spring Series is this Saturday, January 21st. Race time is 11:00. SPYC Twilight Race Committee will be RC for this race. Look for the Coast Pilot to be on station for the race start and finish. The race will be followed by our annual Chilli Cookoff at the Sailing Center. See Chilli Cookoff Details on the attached flyer. If you haven't signed up for the Spring Series please do so at SPSA.US
- The St. Petersburg Boat Show takes place this weekend beginning Thursday 1/19 through Sunday 1/22. Women Who Sail Tampa Bay will be hosting 10 very interesting seminars at the boat show – click here for the seminar schedule. Several of the presenters, Vanessa Goodrum, Jody Kotun and Al Lima are also members of SPSA. I know I am looking forward to attending. The topics are intriguing.
- Our 2nd Annual Off the Wall Regatta will be held Sunday, January 29. Start time 11:00. This is a pursuit race geared toward new racers/racing skippers. All racers are welcome though. We have classes for new/novice racers and experienced racers. The race is open to all keel boats and SPSA and non-SPSA members. See attached flyer. If you'd like to assist a new racer on race day, please attend the Skippers meeting on Saturday January 28 at 4:00pm at the Sailing Center. We will review some basic racing rules and the pursuit start. The post race meet-up and awards will take place at Courigan's Irish Pub.
- Saturday, February 4 is our second Spring Series Race (Series Race 11 & 12). Start time at 1100. We Need a Volunteer for the Race Committee for this race! Reply to this email if you can do RC.
- Here's what else is happening in February:
- February 11 – Davis Island YC Around the Point Race
- February 17 – 19 Helly Hansen Sailing World Regatta (formerly known as the NOODS). In addition to all of the various racing classes they will have 2 days of racing for PHRF Cruising boats. See the link above for details.
- February 25 – Tampa Sailing Squadron's Gasparilla Regatta. Don't miss this one!
We have an exciting few months of sailing opportunities coming our way. See you all out on the Bay.