Here’s a listing of the upcoming sailing events. Some are SPSA events others are Sailing Center and Yacht Club sponsored days out on the bay.
- Saturday January 15th SPSA Spring Season Races 1 & 2. Legacy will be our Race Committee. First start scheduled for 11 AM. Remember to login 1st before trying to do anything. http://spsa.us/membership/ If you are declaring a cruising spinnaker for the Spring Season this must be done by midnight Wednesday January 12th. TreinenRich@aol.com
- Saturday January 15th Post Race will be a chili cook off at the Sailing Center. See the attached flyer.
- Saturday January 29th SPSA Spring Season Races 3 & 4. Gimmi Shelter will be our Race Committee. First start scheduled for 11 AM.
- Sunday February 6th Off the Quay Wall Regatta. This is a pursuit race designed to jump start sailors new to racing. We have several boat owners eyeing the racing scene and the SPSA too. This is an opportunity to expand the number of boats that race with us on the bay. We are looking for experienced sailors to guide our new friends from start to finish on a simple triangle race. Download flier here. More information to come.
Other Sailing Events Coming our way in February.
- Saturday February 5th Adaptive Sailing Day at the Sailing Center. 10 AM to 2 PM. The Sailing Center hosts local folks that are not able to sail without help. Local organizations bring their clients to the Sailing Center for short sails. The Sailing Center needs volunteers to help in all aspects of this great event. This is one of those events that makes you feel good all the way home. Contact Dana Aljasir at the Sailing Center if you are able to help. email@example.com
- February 18 – 20 Sailing Worlds National Offshore One Design. The NOODS. This one at the St Petersburg Yacht Club. Here’s the link that tells you about the NOODS. https://www.sailingworld.com/helly-hansen-nood-regatta-st-petersburg/ Most of us will be interested in the distance race on Saturday February 19th. To get the early bird discount you must register by Feb 1st. Here’s the registration link https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eid=14800
- Coming soon the Yacht Club’s Twilight Series. Day Light Saving Time starts March 13th. Every Friday evening afterwards the Twilight Races begin at 6:30. These delightful evening sails run through the end of August. This event is open to all boats. Please register so a handicap can be assigned to your boat and so RC knows wh you are. The cost is zero or minimal. It’s just 15 bucks for a whole summer of racing! See the NOR for details. https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=14941
SPSA News & Results.
- King of the Bay winner for December was Cayennita III. Her corrected time was 50:28. This was a good time, not quite a Top 10 performance but close.
- The 1st to finish in the New Years Day Pursuit Race were Surge in the Cruising Class and Tack Tick in the Spinnaker Class. Surge captured the line honors. It was a great day to be out on the bay.
- Our New Year’s Day White Elephant Party after the pursuit race was attended by 30 some SPSA Members. Hula Girl II captured the most desired prize, a new winch handle. Sorry to say Galene went home with the prize that no one wanted. Thanks to Dan & Noreen for pulling this fun event together.
Lets Go Sailing.