The sailing season kicks off in the bay big time in September. Here’s a few items to make your day.
- 30 August 2019 That’s this Friday. It’s the last scheduled race of the St Petersburg Yacht Club’s Twilight Series. The Awards Party will be held at the Tiki Bar after the race. If the race is rained out there will still be a party, it will just start early. Food will be available at $15 a head. Gloria Davis, a long time member of the SPSA and SPYC has been the chief honcho of the Twilight Series for eons. If for no other reason, please show up and thank Gloria and her crew on Coast Pilot for being there every Friday night all summer long.
- 23:00 Monday 2 September 2019 That’s Labor Day. It’s also the deadline for ticket purchases to the SPSA Annual Awards and Dinner Banquet. The event is 6 PM Friday 6 September at the yacht club. Here’s the link. http://spsa.us/racing/spsa-series/awards-dinner-tickets/
- 7 PM 3 September 2019 That’s next Tuesday. The SPSA Monthly Board meeting will be held at the Sailing Center. We will be entering the panic mode as we go through the punch list for the Annual Awards and Dinner Banquet. Our members are encourage to attend. We’d love to see you there. We have opportunities for anyone that doesn’t have enough to do. And there’s always a bit of food and beers to be had. It’s a great way to get involved!
- 7 September 2019 Kick off race day for 2019-20 SPSA Race Series. Get your crew together. This once a month Saturday Series of Races kicks off on . Go the SPSA Regatta page. Here’s the link. http://spsa.us/racing/regattas/
- 14 September 2019 The 10th Annual Classic Regatta. This event is for boats 20 years and older. Until last year the SPSA ran this event with help from the yacht club. From now on it’s a yacht club run event. Many SPSA members are racing in this event and helping pull it off. This is another example where Gloria has stepped up to keep a good thing going. Last year the Classic raised $30,000 for Meals on Wheels. We had more than 30 boats. Over the 9 years the SPSA ran this event we raised over $100,000 to help Meals on Wheels serve our community. That’s something our members and the event sponsors can be proud of. Already this year we already have more than 30 registered boats. There are even a bunch of power boats signed up. This is a great event and party benefitting a great local charity. Please consider participating. Here’s the link. https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=9521&fbclid=IwAR2csoCxcvEyB2A6sa1qsoAILl-UgzdImO6kODoJ_L3o2w9-oLvP1gXbR8M
- White Hawk Here’s a pic of last years Most Beautiful Boat at the Classic Regatta. White Hawk is a Cherubini 48 staysail schooner. She’s coming back to defend her title. In this picture she’s flying her gollywobbler. It the wind is right you might see this fabulous sight, if you’re there.
Let’s Go Sailing!